Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Silly Dog

I have a nightly routine with BlackJack, our 10 year old Schipperke. One of the last things I do before going to bed is to put him out on the service porch. BJ is a house dog when we are home but we lock him out when we leave the house or go to bed. Normally, he knows what's up and complies....mostly. Some nights it takes some prodding or some machismo stare downs to get him out. Then you have a night like tonight when he is downright pitiful. A night where he should be embarrassed to be a dog.

Not only did he not want to go out, but he just layed on a blanket in the living room playing possum hoping I'd give in and let him stay in. Nope. I picked up all 11 pounds of black furball and carried him like a baby in one arm, belly up to the porch. Or at least I started to, and then the tongue came out. The tongue that he stuck out like he was high on pot in a daze at a Grateful Dead concert. The tongue that you would swear was mocking you. The tongue he licks himself with. Everywhere. He does this often, but tonight, even with me blowing on his face and talking to him, he kept it out. He was laying in my arms so passively, trying to play me that I did what anyone would do, I took pictures of the silly goof. He was so unfazed that I took two photos pretty close to him with a flash and moved him around and the tongue never retracted. See for yourself:
BJ tongueBJ tongue2

He is one of the funniest animals I have ever been around and a great family pet. But you know what? His furry butt is on the service porch with the cat. Cute only goes so far with me.