Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Get the Fork

The Lakers are done. Not this is news to anyone that follows the NBA, but it is all over for this season. As far as I am concerned they are now playing for lottery position which is fine by me since they are a team in rebuilding mode. I was optimistic that they would be a better team this year than they are. I figured the second round of the playoffs was a reasonable goal. I still agree with trading Shaq's big whining butt and would do it again. I have never loved the deal with Miami, but it was the best the Lakers could get while keeping him out of the Western Conference. Lamar Odom and Caron Butler are exciting players but Brian Grant's sore knees and 13 million a year contract aren't so hot. The guy has lots of heart, which I love, but he's too expensive and 4 years past his prime.

This season has been a tough one all around. New players, new coach, new offense, quitting coach, new interim coach, old offense and no defense. The way some of these opponents are scoring on the Lakers makes me think that if I suited up against them I could probably score a dozen or so points. Ok, definitely not. But they are pretty bad. Should a miracle happen and they make the playoffs, I'll be surprised. When they get swept out in the first round I won't be. Don't get me wrong, I still love this team like I have since as far back as 1971 but this season is all but finished. Fortunately baseball and fantasy baseball are on the horizon.