Friday, February 24, 2006

Isn't it ironic....

I have been watching American Idol since season 3 because I enjoy music and watching the judges do their schtick. Mind you, I rarely watch it live. Without Tivo, I would have put a bullet in my brain long ago. The other reason to watch it is because my daughter Jamie loves the show and so it is quality bonding time for us. I get to see her introduced to music that she hasn't heard before and we both usually agree with each other about the performances. If the show is still on by the time she is 16 (that will be July, 2011) I have no doubt that she will seriously consider auditioning.

Watching last night's results show something struck me as ironic. The two boys and two girls that received the lowest number of viewer votes were kicked to the curb. When the judges were asked why they thought these four were cut loose the answer was invariably, "wrong song choice." Ok, makes sense. People chose songs that were too hard or above their capabilities or just didn't make them standout. Now here's the part that I love. After each of the four is given the boot, they say goodbye by singing the song that got them shitcanned in the first place. It's almost as if host Ryan Seacrest is saying "America, just in case they didn't suck loud enough for you the first time, here they are to do an encore of their failure."

Love it!