Saturday, July 14, 2007

It's Not the Having, It's the Wanting

We walked into the AT&T/Cingular store yesterday to get Jamie a cellphone since she will start riding a bus into Hancock Park next month for school. Kylie pointed at an iPhone ad and said "Dad are you going to get one?" I said that they were sold out but was immediately corrected by a salesperson announcing that the iPhones are in stock just not on display. DAMN....now here's the conundrum. I had declared that I would wait until the iPhone had been in the marketplace at least 30 days before buying one. I also stated to any and everyone that I would not buy this phone until it hit 2nd generation. I choose to be practical and not adopt early technologies. It's just who I am both personally and professionally. So here is the problem. Debby starts asking me if I want it. I tell her that $600.00 plus tax is ridiculous for a phone...are you sure? Jamie at the same time can't decide which phone to get..."don't you like mine?" I ask. "Too narrow" she says. Had she wanted my phone, I could have been tempted to do a swap but practicality and fiscal responsibility won out for now. However, as we were leaving Kylie kept saying that she will take my phone so that I can get an iPhone. I may have to take her up on her offer in 14 more days....