Monday, March 27, 2006

Fantasy 'Lanta

One of the fun parts of working for ESPN is getting to travel for different events. Last week I spent 4 days in Orlando for an Ad Sales meeting at Disney's Grand Floridian. It was fun but corporate. From Orlando I popped up to Atlanta for a fantasy baseball draft party at Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves. I was asked to set up 60 laptops so that ESPN the Magazine subscribers could attend a free draft party and start building their teams. It was a lot of work and due to the low number of RSVPs we only deployed 40 laptops (15 would have been plenty!) but the prep took all day Saturday and half of Sunday. Can you say tired?

turner field

baseballs2

Once the event began it was lots of hot dogs, hot fantasy girls and talking baseball with the likes of Ron Gant, Jeff Brantley and Bob Horner. Plus trying my stuff at the fast pitch cage. Jeff Brantley coached me and added 2 mphs to my "wicked" fastball, whereby I topped the gun at 50 mph. Pitiful, of course, and since I did not warm up my arm is sore this morning. I'll cherish that strain for at least another day. Off to Bristol, CT to check in with the Mothership.

laptops

draft girls

Yeah, I like my job.